Prep: 30 minutes
Soak: 20 – 30 minutes
Cook: 25 – 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ tablespoon dried basil leaves
- ⅓ tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons ground white pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 chicken, cut up, the breast pieces cut in half for more even frying
- Expeller-pressed canola oil.
How to make buttermilk
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or distilled white vinegar.
Stir and let it stand at room temperature for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/392F
- Mix the flour in a bowl with all the herbs and spices; set aside.
- Mix the buttermilk and egg together in a separate bowl until combined.
- Soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture at room temperature, 20-30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the buttermilk, allowing excess to drip off.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the herb-spice-flour mixture to coat all sides, shaking off excess.
- Allow to sit on a rack over a baking sheet, 20 minutes.
- When the oven temperature is reached (200C/392F) bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes turning once.
Note: This article has been updated (for baking) based on the originally published in The Chicago Tribune.